China Dark Side Moon T-Shirt
A Chinese spacecraft has become the first to land on the far side of the moon in a historic moment for human space exploration. The robotic probe Change 4 landed in the unexplored South Pole-Aitken basin at about 2.30 am GMT on Thursday 3 January 2019.
A great technological accomplishment and a significant challenge faced by the Chinese team. The landing was out of sight of Earth so signals were relayed back through a satellite.
When we look up at the full moon, we only ever see one face. The far side undergoes the same phases of illumination by the Sun as the side facing Earth. Though because the moon spins on its axis at exactly the same rate as it orbits Earth, one side remains permanently out of view. From this the name the dark side.
Tests and Collecting data
The far side of the moon is of particular scientific interest as it is heavily pockmarked by deep craters and it may hold the key to fundamental mysteries about the moon’s formation and its earliest history.
Scientists believe that the far side could reveal new clues to the cataclysmic collision that created the moon and uncover the origins of the water that is unexpectedly abundant in lunar soil.
It can also help narrow down theories about how the moon formed and the beginnings of the solar system.
Below are some links to the news related to our China Dark Side Moon T-Shirt
- Wikipedia – Chang’e 4
- TheGuardian – ‘Dark side’ of the moon: China’s Chang’e 4 probe makes historic landing – video explainer
- TheGuardian – What could Chang’e 4 discover on far side of the moon?
- TheGuardian – Far side of the moon: China’s Chang’e 4 probe makes historic touchdown
- Youtube – China Is The First To Land On The Dark Side Of The Moon
- Space – China Makes Historic 1st Landing on Mysterious Far Side of the Moon
We hope you like our project!